Friday, July 8, 2011

Your're Not Alone: Assurances from an Autistic Staff Member

Nicholas Pusateri


To the Parents 


Similar to the experience of our students, me and the rest of the staff are also learning new things and expanding our horizons. While not necessarily turning in assignments or learning to get up on time, we nevertheless face challenges which have no clear end result.

While I myself have Aspergers and can relate somewhat to our newcomers, many of my fellow workers have not faced the quirks or experiences which are atypical of these kids. In short, I want to assure you that your children are not going to be the only ones encountering uncertain times.

My First Day


Long before things really got rolling, I rolled out of bed at 7 in the morning. Typically, I only react when things are scheduled to begin and on mine, arrivals were supposed to begin at 11. So there I was, sitting in the lower lobby with book in hand, expecting things to go as planned.

Unfortunately, as it often happens to me, you guys started showing up around 10 and I rushed over to greet, help carry and other general tasks. Although it was quite a bit of work for me, it nevertheless made me feel great. It was like being a big brother among similar siblings.

After You Left


I'm sure you're curious what happened once you began the long trek home. Well, first there was a wonderful picnic and already, almost everybody was creating successful conversations. From a guy who can't keep a conversation going for more than 30 seconds, I was quite shocked to see these kids with the same issue as me getting out of their comfort zones.

Before turning in for the night, everyone learned more by playing Icebreaker. I can say that your children have quirks and traits which completely baffled me. Everyone clearly had a good time, with lots of laughter from everyone involved.

Well, I hope to write more soon. I feel our work has only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment